The weather is changing and its time to make sure your home is ready. Taking some time to handle a few chores will make the winter months much more pleasant and help prevent any unpleasant spring surprises.
Here is a home maintenance checklist for you to take care of this fall!
- Gutters – Clean and secure your gutters to make sure they are clear of debris to prevent water overflow and damage to your home.
- Rake Leaves – Make sure to either mow over or rake fallen leaves. Although a blanket of leaves can be pretty, they can kill your grass when left for a prolonged period of time.
- Seal cracks – The colder weather brings unwanted house guests. Taking some time in the autumn months to stroll around your property and seal any cracks will help prevent critters from visiting.
- Purchase winter supplies – Stock up on supplies such as ice melt, firewood, shovels, and ice scrapers.
- Chimney – Do a quick inspection of your chimney and flu. Call your chimney sweep to clean the soot build up and to check the chimney cap.
- Firewood Storage – Keep your dried firewood stored at least 10 feet away from the home. Large amounts of firewood stored too close to your home can risk termite infestation!
- Seal drafts – According to the US Department of Energy, heat loss through windows is responsible for 25-30 percent of heating energy use! Check to make sure the weatherstripping on your windows and doors are in good shape and replace as needed.
- Store Hoses – Before the cold weather hits, remember to turn off the water supply to your outdoor faucets and properly store your garden hose.
Regular home maintenance is important for home value and can save you from some unwanted and expensive repairs!